Thursday, January 8, 2009

There Will Be Blood???

This morning I went to the blood bank to do my autologous donation. Well guess what? I was denied the privilege of having a needle stuck in my arm because my red blood cell count was too low. What increases red blood cell count??? Iron. So this is really no surprise considering that I am crazy anemic.

Needless to say, I will be focusing on getting more iron in my diet between now and the surgery. I try to avoid beef because the hormones contribute to the growth of the fibroid tumors. I guess that I will go to Whole Foods and take a second mortgage out on my house to buy some hormone-free steak.

Next Thursday I will have one more chance to make the "cut" at the blood bank. Hmmmm....that gives me a new reality TV show idea...somebody call FOX! Anyway, since they will have to do a "2 in 1" appointment and take double the blood, they are going to hook me up to some monster machine that takes the red blood cells out and puts the plasma back in....kind of like a gift (to myself) that gives back I suppose?

Anyway, I am glad that this happened today rather than right before surgery. Now I know that every meal I eat between now and the 27th must have some iron in it. Sometimes it is a good thing when goals are set for me rather than by me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment